Temporary Immigration

Who Needs a Study Permit?

Most international students need to apply for a Study Permit to study in Canada. However, there are some exceptions:

  • If you wish to study in a short-term course or program, you do not need a Study Permit if you are planning to take a course or program in Canada with a duration of six months or less (e.g., exchange students here for only one semester). You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

    You should apply for a Study Permit before you come to Canada if you think you may want to continue your studies after you complete the short-term course or program. If you do not have a valid Study Permit and want to continue your studies, you will have to obtain your initial Study Permit from outside of Canada.

    Even if you do not need one, there are benefits to having a Study Permit. A valid Study Permit allows you to:
  • work part-time on the campus at which you are registered as a full-time student
  • apply to renew your Study Permit from within Canada, if you decide to continue studying in Canada

Tuition Fee

Students are required to demonstrate financial sufficiency for only the first year of studies, regardless of the duration of the course or program of studies in which they are enrolled. In other words, a single student entering a four-year degree program with an annual tuition fee of $11,000 must demonstrate funds of $11,000 to satisfy the requirements.

When submitting an application for a student authorization, a foreign national will also need to provide the following documents:

  • Acceptance Letter from the Canadian educational institution
  • Proof of funds for school tuition and fees
  • Proof of funds to support himself/herself for the duration of his/her studies in Canada
  • Application Processing fee to be paid to the Canadian government
  • A police clearance certificate from his/her country of residence if he/she is 18 years of age or older.