Permanent Immigration

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

A skilled worker is a professional who has skills, knowledge or ability in his work and have attended a college, university or technical school, or have learned his skills on the job.


Under the new FSWP, skilled workers who wish to migrate to Canada can apply for a Canadian permanent resident visa if they meet the basic eligibility:


  • Have a year's continuous work experience within the last decade and listed in one of 24 Eligible occupations AND these occupations are either:

    Skill Type 0 (management occupations) or

    Skill Level A (professional occupations) or

    Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)


  • have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada or
  • are international students who are either enrolled in a PhD course in Canada or have graduated from a PhD course in Canada within the last year


For the Canadian Skilled Working visa, points are allocated based on your highest level of achievement AND the number of years you have spent in full time education and the maximum point is 25.


Must have:

  • a Canadian diploma, certificate, or credential

  • AND/OR
  • a foreign educational credential, and an a Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) by an agency approved by CIC oo show it is equal to a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational credential.

Language Proficiency

Canadian immigration visas of this kind award points for language proficiency in either English or French. Bilingual candidates should nominate one of the two languages as their "first language".

Points are allocated in the four key ability areas of:

  • Speaking
  • Listening
  • Reading
  • Writing

An applicant must meet minimum language levels and include the results of a language test from an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) when you apply that shows you meet the minimum language requirement of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7. A total maximum points for language skills is 28.

Work Experience
Points will be awarded for the number of years in full time paid work and the maximum points is 15.

Points are also given to candidates based on their age. The maximum obtainable in this category is 12 points and this applies to applicants aged between 18 and 35. One point is deducted for every year outside this range and Canadian visas of this class do not award any points to applicants under the age of 17 or beyond 46 years of age.

Arranged Employment

This type of Canadian immigration service does not require a specific job offer, as is the case with a permit to work in Canada, but an applicant can be awarded extra points if a job is in place. By having an arranged employment, you can earn 10 points to be added to your total for a job offer approved by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) whether you are already in the country on a temporary work permit or applying externally.


In Canada, immigration visa applications of this kind can accumulate extra points for a range of factors related to you and your family's ability to adapt to life in Canada. Points might be given if

Your spouse or common - law partner has a language level in either English or French at CLB4 level or higher;

You finished at least two academic years of full-time study (in a program at least two years long) at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada;


Your spouse or common-law partner's have completed a 2 year post secondary educational course in Canada ;

You have worked for a least 1 year in full time employment on a valid Canadian working permit in an occupation listed in Skill Type O or Skill Levels A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and with a valid work permit or while authorized to work in Canada;


Your spouse / partner did at least one year of full-time work in Canada on a valid work permit or while authorized to work in Canada;


Finally you may be eligible for a further 5 points if you or your partner has a relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident in Canada.
Applicants will also be required to prove that they have sufficient funds to support themselves when they arrive in Canada. All applicants must also still obtain a police certificate from their home country to prove that they do not have a criminal record. CIC will also carry out checks on applicants in any other country where they have lived. If you have a criminal record, this will affect your application and may well lead to rejection.


The Federal Skilled Worker: List of Eligible Occupation 2013

  • 0211 Engineering managers
  • 1112 Financial and investment analysts
  • 2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers
  • 2131 Civil engineers
  • 2132 Mechanical engineers
  • 2134 Chemical engineers
  • 2143 Mining engineers
  • 2145 Petroleum engineers
  • 2144 Geological engineers
  • 2146 Aerospace engineers
  • 2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)
  • 2154 Land surveyors
  • 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
  • 2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
  • 2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety
  • 3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
  • 3142 Physiotherapists
  • 3143 Occupational Therapists
  • 3211 Medical laboratory technologists
  • 3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants
  • 3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists
  • 3215 Medical Radiation Technologists
  • 3216 Medical Sonographers
  • 3217 Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists