Canadian Immigration

Family Class Sponsorship

Canadian citizens and permanent residents living in Canada, 18 years of age or older, may sponsor close relatives or family members including spouses, common-law/same-sex partners, conjugal partners who cannot live together and dependent children applying outside of Canada who want to become permanent residents of Canada.

There are two ways of sponsoring your relatives in Canada.

  1.   1. Sponsoring your Spouse, Conjugal partner/Common law and or dependent children.
  2.   2. Sponsoring Other Eligible Relative

Sponsoring your Spouse, Conjugal partner/common law or dependent children

The first step is to apply your sponsor for a family sponsorship. Both sponsor and the sponsored relative should meet the requirements. Application for family sponsorship could be made if your sponsored relative live inside or outside Canada. Applicants must passed the medical, criminal and background check.

To qualify under Canada Family Class Sponsorship:

1. The relationship between the Sponsor and the Sponsored Person must be one of the following:

  • Parent or grandparent; or
  • Dependent child; or
  • Brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild who is orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship; or
  • Intended adopted child under 18 years of age; or
  • Other relative, if the Sponsor has no relative listed above and no relatives who are Canadian citizens or Canadian Permanent Residents (limited to one relative only).

2. The Sponsored Person must have a Sponsor who:

  • Is a Canadian citizen or a Canadian Permanent Resident; and
  • Meets the family class sponsorship requirements.
Sponsorship requirements:

  • The Sponsor must demonstrate the financial ability to provide the Family Sponsorship Immigrant and dependents with their basic and essential needs
  • The Sponsor must be willing to enter into a sponsorship agreement by signing an undertaking where he or she agrees to provide the above essential needs for a prescribed period of time; and
  • The Sponsored relative (if over 22 years of age and not elderly), whereby the Sponsor promises to support the Sponsored person(s) for a prescribed period of time, and the Sponsored person(s) promises to make every effort to become self-supporting.

  • The Sponsor must have either a physical residency in Canada, or for Canadian citizens sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child, a demonstrated intention to reside in Canada by the time the Sponsored family member lands in Canada as a Permanent Resident.
  • Finally, the Sponsor must be: at least 18 years old; not in prison; not bankrupt; not under a removal order if a Permanent Resident; and not charged with a serious offence.

Sponsoring Other Eligible Relative

You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.

The relative that you can sponsor are:

Parents, grandparents, brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship, another relative of any age or relationship, accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).